Length: 2 days
CEU Credits: 1.4
Course Hours: 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Certification of Completion: A Certificate of Completion indicating the total number of CEUs earned will be provided upon successful completion of the course.
Certificate Program: This course is required for the ISA84 Safety Instrumented Systems Certificate Program 3. When you register for the course, the certificate exam is included with your registration. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for further requirements for the exam. ISA Course Safety Instrumented Systems: A Life-Cycle Approach (EC50) or Safety Instrumented Systems: A Life-Cycle Approach (EC50E) and ISA Certificate Safety Instrumented Systems Certificate Program 1 are prerequisites for Certificate Program 3. Those who successfully complete this course and pass the certificate program exam receive the designation of ISA84 SIL Verification Specialist.
This course focuses on more detailed design issues and further hands-on examples of system analysis/modeling. Students will be better able to perform system design and analysis thus saving their companies time and money in optimizing system designs. This course will enable you to analyze any system technology and configuration to see if it will meet the required SIL (Safety Integrity Level) and determine if existing systems are safe enough, if they need to be upgraded, and whether proposed systems will meet the performance requirements. You will also be able to determine the optimum manual test interval for any system, saving your company time and money by not over- or under-testing systems.
You will be able to:
- Analyze any system technology and configuration to see if it will meet the required SIL (Safety Integrity Level)
- Determine if existing systems are safe enough (or whether they need to be upgraded) and whether proposed systems will meet the performance requirements
- Determine the optimum manual test interval for any system, saving your company time and money by not over or under-testing systems
You will cover:
- System Modeling/Analysis Hands-On Advanced Examples: Multiple Examples with Different Field Device Technologies | Configurations | Diagnostic Levels | Test Intervals | Common Cause Factors | Imperfect Manual Testing
- Detailed Design Topics: Fault Tolerance | Safe Failure Fraction | Diagnostic Coverage | Confidence Limits | System Response to Faults | Using Devices for Control and Safety | Non Fail-Safe Design Requirements | Interface Requirements
“Laboratory/Application Exercises really good on driving you to think.”
—Thomas Jackson, EC54 Student
- The course consists of multiple application exercises of system modeling/analysis
A hand-held/scientific calculator should be brought to class.
Classroom Copies of ISA/IEC 61511 standards will be provided for your use during the course
Textbook Included: Safety Instrumented Systems Verification - Practical Probabilistic Calculations by William Goble and Harry Cheddie
Recommended Course Prerequisites:
- ISA course Safety Instrumented Systems-Design, Analysis, and Justification (EC50 or EC50E) or fundamental understanding of Safety Instrumented Systems